Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mind The Gap

This evening as I was rushing toward the train with seconds to climb on before the beep of the doors closed me out-my phone flew from my pocket and fell right into the gap between the train and the platform. I made momentary eye contact with a passenger. I didn't know what to say-the two of us simply stared down at the back of the blackberry shining up toward me from the trash of the tracks as the door began to close.

Not knowing where to turn I went for a cop-in the midst of heavy rush hour trains pulling through the station we stared down with large wooden grabber in toe searching for the missing item. I couldn't find it-anywhere. I was hovering on the yellow line, my hands and knees gripping onto the edge of the track so I wouldn't fall in. I had to find it. My former blackberry had been stolen in a 711 and I didn't have the gumption or funds to be springing for yet another replacement. It had disappeared and left me....forcing my anxiety level to rise. The cops had a change of shift and I was handed a new cop with a new flashlight and a new ray of hope on my missing items journey. Thankfully, on top of a black trash bag it was found resting unassumingly surrounded by various items.

It was a relief. I don't recommend it to anyone. Mind the gap. Never leave your phone in your pocket when running for the train or it just might fly out and find a new home on top of a black trash bag.

No comments: