Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Spectacular Security

The day after Christmas I went into Manhattan with a hacking cough and a drippy cold. That was all ok though because obviously I was going to be wowed with some "spectacular" Christmas cheer. Not just any for that matter - The Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

As the cool droplets of December rain drifted idly toward my face I grabbed at the corners of my black lumberjack hat and stared up at the vast letters reading a resounding Radio City Music Hall. Ahhh, the history, ahhh the glizt, ahhh Christmas.

I was willing to forget that I had spent the last few days sweating and sick as I walked in the procession and thrust forth the golden ticket to release me into the double doors of dancing Santa's and kicking Rockettes. Just as I was about to enter the lobby a disgruntled security man stopped me with a blunt stick and bag check. I passed that with flying colors....until....until he spotted the camera case. Now-everyone knows that anyone can take pictures in the spectacular, it's a tourist attraction. The amount of flashing lights in that show would make any Broadway performer roll their eyes fifty times in even succession. In this instance I was informed that SLR camera's are not allowed in the theater. What???

I am escorted to a tin cabinet that looks like it has been living in a government office for twenty-five years that anyone could break into with a blunt paperweight and a pinch of intuition. Begrudgingly I handed the device over staring forlornly. When I walked in the first action I witnessed was a man taking a picture in the lobby with his SLR camera!

I was outraged. Why could he hold on to his camera and I couldn't? What? Are they concerned that I'm going to take perfect photo's of the teddy bear nutcracker and sell them illegally in a program that I create for my own profit. Come on. Please. Who even has the time for that? Who would even buy that.

Let's just say-

I got the camera back. It sat next to my feet during the entire show. However, I was massively tempted to take at least twelve pictures of the live nativity. I did not.

Come on though Radio City. With terrorists attempting to detonate bombs in cross Atlantic flights do we really need to focus on who's taking SLR camera's into Christmas Spectaculars.

Just sayin'.

No comments: