Sunday, November 1, 2009

Larimer Square


In the city of Denver there is a lovely little district titled LoDo which is the trendy way of saying Downtown Denver. Larimer Square is a stop off the free bus that traverses the 16th street mall continuously throughout the course of the day.

A little subsection of Larimer is Writer's Square with adorable cheese shops and The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company. I had the pleasure of experiencing one of their unbelievable candied apples dripping in peanut butter drizzle, Reese's pieces, and a chocolate concoction that is indescribable.

Being Halloween-costumes were also out in full swing. The morning introduced me to two gorillas wearing tie dyed t-shirts. Noon time escorted in a cavalcade of witches and cat ears. By evening ghouls and goblins galore along with some novelty out-fits such as a massacred ballerina, the genie from Aladin, a girl with a flip-flop on her head which I explained away as debri, and a wide array of different takes on the classic Mario Brother's Luigi out-fit.

Why Luigi? Why not Mario? Granted-I've always been a sucker for the underdog when it comes to groups of people. I ardently supported Mike from the Monkees (the one with the green hat.) See, I bet you all didn't even know who he was. So, why not Luigi. Why not.

Out-side the candy company was a large, stuffed, massively adorable homeless zorro bear. I wanted to hug him but I wasn't sure how long he'd been out-side or for that matter if he was carrying the swine.

Long story short, if you ever do Denver-when you're done at Estes Park, Red Rocks, Central City, go to LoDo for some fine dining and socialization and hug the homeless bear: at your own risk.


No comments: