Sunday, January 30, 2011

Central Parked

Today I took the long way to midtown. I have not yet journeyed through Central Park since the snow started falling and had no idea what to expect. I struggled through unploughed walkways while getting clipped from behind by extraordinarily savvy cross country skiers but probably the most harrowing situation out of all were the people that would park themselves in front of the scenery to snap some photo ops.


I would wait kindly while tourist #1 smiled in front of the frozen reservoir, meanwhile tourist #2 found a newly constructed snowman to plant their arm around, tourist #3 was just so jazzed to be anywhere in New York City that they wanted to take five pictures of the same tree.

Between bobbing and waiting and scampering past these moments I stopped and actually took a look around. Norman Rockwell would be jealous of the scenery that resulted from blizzard after blizzard.

So-after being judgemental and quick about walking by all of these pictures, these memories, I stopped and took a second to truly enjoy what was happening around me. The infants in their head to toe snow out-fits, the toddlers cheekily grabbing hunks of snow and chucking them at the lower flank of their parents unsuspecting leg, and everyone was laughing as they took forgivable nose dives into the slush and sleet all around.

In the heat of the moment I took out my phone, a camera, and waited until the endless lines of people passed for my perfect moment to take the frozen memory.

And I do believe it was worth it.




1 comment:

Jan Markley said...

Great picture! I think I've been tourist #3. Just saying ...