Thursday, January 27, 2011

New York Is Having An Identity Crisis and/or The Snow Day Chronicles

As a child, hearing the words snow day was one of those rare moments that happened once, maybe twice a year if you were lucky enough to have a blizzard so severe that the schools stared at the piles of snow awestruck and gasping thinking....I'll never be able to teach in this weather!

For some reason- global warming, the Apocalypse as the people in the subway system would have me believe, or perhaps we just had it coming New York is experiencing one of its worst winters in history and I get to have one of those jobs that don't give you a get out of jail free card when it comes to treacherous weather.

So I-unlike many who get to gently lounge on their couches bringing warm cups of cocoa to their lips while watching back episodes of never ending reality shows, I put on my mukluks and I journey to do the unthinkable: dig out a car.


Thankfully, the streets were already being cleared in the wee hours of the morning but that didn't stop the snow banks from rising up to my knees.



And when I had finally reached the warmth of my hot cup of congratulatory coffee and work desk I stopped and payed homage to such a small tool but in sight of the vast amount of clean-up a true necessity.

Thank you scraper. Thank you for being the unspoken hero of snow storms nationwide. Hell, maybe even internationally. You deserve it.



And now I'll wait until next week.....when we have been told there will be another snow storm. Maybe I'll move to Alaska, then I'll know that I won't see the blacktop for six months.

No comments: